Friday, November 6, 2009

Big Tent?

I'm sick of listening to how the GOP is not the "big tent party". The truth of the matter is that if one takes a step back and takes an honest assessment of political reality, the truth comes flying in your face.

The liberals, housed in the Democratic Party, are the party lacking the big tent. The proof is in what is going on now, in case anyone doubted it before. Figure it out yet?

Democrats = government control. Who has to think or bring ideas, innovations, freedom and liberty to any issue, community, or family when government can tell you what to do and how to do it? The Democrats are not a "big tent party". They only need a small apartment to house their government is the answer to all of America's problems.

GOP/Conservatives = ideas, innovation, freedom, liberty, LIMITED government. Big tent party of ideas. It has to be a big tent to house all of the possibilities.

There is a purpose for government, but it's purpose is not to tell me which doctors I should go to for which illnesses. Or that my taxes should pay for someone else's...whatever. If I CHOOSE to help someone in a time of need, that is my choice. If I am MANDATED to pay higher taxes to pay for government's ideas as to what is right and wrong, it is STEALING from me.

Now I know liberals and most Democrats are up in arms with statements like that. The truth of the matter is that there is nothing stopping them from paying more taxes. Whip out your checkbook and write a big fat check to the IRS. They'll take your money, happily. That's YOUR choice on how to spend your money. Don't itemize on your tax returns, don't take exemptions, just pay the highest taxes possible, AND THEN SOME. Don't hire accountants to find every deduction out there. No one stops anyone from writing a check to the GOVERNMENT. They will take it, cash it, and spend it...gladly. That's what government does.

I want to CHOOSE how to help other people. I want to CHOOSE which doctors I can take my children to, for what illnesses, and I want government to BUTT OUT. How can someone in a bureaucracy in Washington, D.C. know what is best for me and my family? They don't. They don't live in my house, they don't live in my shoes, they don't have the same experiences I do.

So it is MY CHOICE on what to do and how to do it. You can CHOOSE to pay the IRS as much money as you think is fair, and I'll pay as much as I need to, not a dime more. I'd rather put my money to use in more constructive forms. I'd rather spend it in my community to help out local businesses, to make sure people in my community can keep their jobs. I know what is best for my family, not anyone else.

So the next time you hear how the GOP does not have a big tent, I hope you can take an honest assessment of what the reality is in the current environment: liberals/Democrats = government is the answer, and GOP/Conservatives = ideas, innovations, liberty & freedom.

Who is the party with a big tent?

No comments: